coach Scott Brooks said

#1 by Cl11234566 , Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:14 am

MONTREAL -- Marco Di Vaio wont be the only proven goal-scorer on the Montreal Impact any more. Winless in four games to open the Major League Soccer season, the Impact (0-3-1) sent 2012 first-overall draft pick Andrew Wenger to the Philadelphia Union for all-star Jack McInerney in a swap of forwards on Friday. The surprise move came a day ahead of the Impacts home game against another team searching for its first victory -- the New York Red Bulls (0-1-3). The 20,000-plus fans expected at Olympic Stadium on Saturday wont get to see the player known as Jack Mac however, as 21-year-old McInerney only begins training with his new team early next week. The 23-year-old Wenger would not have been available anyway, as he is serving a one-game suspension for drawing a red card in Montreals 1-1 tie at Philadelphia last weekend. He will miss the Unions game at Chicago. Wenger was the top pick in the SuperDraft when Montreal entered MLS in 2012, but has struggled to find regular playing time. Impact president Joey Saputo tweeted: "Thank you Andrew. You will always be part of our history." When McInerney is ready to play, coach Frank Klopas will decide whether to have him and Di Vaio on the field at once or alternate them in the one-forward system the team usually employs. "Im excited to play under his wing," McInerney said of Di Vaio. "Hes one of the best finishers MLS has ever had. "I dont know how it will play out on the field, but if we play together its a dream come true. Whether we play together or not, its a great learning experience." The Chattanooga, Tenn., native is in his fifth MLS season. Drafted seventh overall by the Union in 2010, he has a goal and an assist in four games this season and 25 goals and four assists in 95 career MLS games. McInerney had 10 goals in the opening 15 games in 2013, which earned him a chance to have Di Vaio as a teammate for a day at the all-star game. However, the five-foot-10 striker added only two more after returning from more than a month with the U.S. national team at the CONCACAF Gold Cup, where he didnt play and was released after the group stage. He said the inactivity affected his rhythm and his confidence. "My confidence was down and at the same time the team wasnt doing well and thats why it didnt go well for me," he said. He said he was surprised to be traded, but was excited to join the Impact. The Union opted to deal away a player whose contract is up at the end of this season and who was expected to seek a raise. The 2014 salary list is not out yet, but he earned $125,500 last season. McInerney has talked about moving to Europe, but said he would consider signing a new deal with Montreal. Impact sporting director Nick De Santis said McInerney has an option year on his contract and should be with the Impact until the end of the 2015 season. In return, Philadelphia got the six-foot 185-pound Wenger, a native of Lancaster, Pa., who moves back to his home state to pursue his bid to be an regular MLS starter. "Andrew is a young and talented attacking player who we think is a good fit with our style of play," Union coach John Hackworth said. Wenger, a converted defender, has six goals and three assists in 51 career games. He started the first three games this season while Di Vaio sat out a suspension and had one goal -- a header in a season-opening 3-2 loss in Dallas. Di Vaios importance to the Impact was underlined when he returned last Saturday. Only four minutes after Wenger was sent off, the Italian put a clinical finish on a feed from Justin Mapp to tie the game in the 80th minute give Montreal its first point of the season. There has been concern that the club was too dependant on their 37-year-old striker, so McInerney will give them another option. He and Di Vaio are similar players -- opportunistic, smaller forwards who let their teammates know about it when they dont get the ball. And Di Vaio is expected to retire at the end of the season. "Its important that you have not only one striker that is able to score goals," said De Santis. "We dont depend just on Marco, but hes scored so many goals and taken a lot of the load. "We get a quality player in Jack who has proven he can score goals at a young age. He gives us more firepower up front." It was the Impacts biggest trade since they sent former all-star goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts to Portland for Troy Perkins on Aug. 7, 2012. The move came as the Impact try to get back on course after a weak start. Four of their next five games are at home. Klopas former club, the Chicago Fire, visits Olympic Stadium next week, and the Impacts first game on the grass pitch at Saputo Stadium is April 26 against the Union, followed by a May 10 meeting with Kansas City. "Its an opportunity to gain some ground," said Klopas. The Red Bulls are hurting, with forward Tim Cahill (hamstring) and right back Richard Eckersley (ankle) going down in a 1-1 home draw with Chivas USA last week. Also, it was unknown if star forward Thierry Henry or centre back Jameson Olave will play because both often sit out games on artificial turf. It is expected that Impact captain Patrice Bernier and fullback Jeb Brovsky, both regaining fitness after injuries, will start from the bench for a second week in a row. Former Red Bulls left back Heath Pearce will likely get a second straight start. Chance Sisco Jersey . -- Among the 31 players at the Montreal Canadiens rookie camp, none feels closer to cracking the NHL roster than right winger Aaron Palushaj. Cedric Mullins Jersey . FIFA said in a statement Friday that "several racist and discriminatory incidents were apparently perpetrated by local supporters during the match, in particular by displaying neo-Nazi banners and by making monkey noises and gestures as well as Nazi salutes. https://www.cheaporioles.com/1768i-dick-...ey-orioles.html. INJURIES - Cardinals 1B Matt Adams has been put on the DL with calf tightness, resulting in some lineup shifting, with Allen Craig moving from right field to first base, so that the Cardinals could bring up top prospect Oscar Taveras, who was the No. Alex Cobb Jersey . "All he says is, its crazy," DeMar DeRozan told reporters following Torontos win over the Pistons Wednesday. The Raptors longest-serving members, Johnson and DeRozan have had two coaches and 56 different teammates in five seasons with the club, all without appearing in a single playoff game. Cole Sulser Jersey . Bjoergen pulled away from Swedens Charlotte Kalla on the final straight to win in 38 minutes, 33.6 seconds and defend her title from the 2010 Vancouver Games. Kalla was 1.8 seconds back. Heidi Weng of Norway took bronze.OKLAHOMA CITY -- Russell Westbrook taught rookie Michael Carter-Williams a swift and thorough lesson. Westbrook had a triple-double in 21 minutes to win the matchup of talented point guards and help the Oklahoma City Thunder defeat the woeful Philadelphia 76ers 125-92 on Tuesday night. The three-time All Star finished with 13 points, 10 rebounds and 14 assists after blowing past Carter-Williams at will. Westbrook wrapped up his eighth career triple-double on a rebound with 4:55 left in the third quarter and left the game for good moments later. The last NBA player to get a triple-double in fewer minutes was Jim Tucker in 1955, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. "He made everybody better tonight," said teammate Kevin Durant, who led the Thunder with 42 points. "He was moving the basketball, he was aggressive to the rim. I think thats why everybody got open, because of his aggressiveness. He just set the tone for us." Westbrook also offered verbal instruction after his pupil decided to talk trash during the third quarter. Turns out, Westbrook is pretty good at that, too. "I like it," he said of Carter-Williams talking. "Its good because thats how I play anyway. I compete, and thats what I like to do. He wants to compete as well." James Anderson scored 20 for the 76ers, who lost their 15th in a row, their longest slide since a 15-game skid in 1994. Philadelphia shot just 34 per cent. Carter-Williams, among the favourites to win the Rookie of the Year award, finished with 14 points on 4-for-12 shooting. Philadelphia coach Brett Brown wasnt amused by Carter-Williams talking. "Its always wise to go about your business without instigating an All-Star," Brown said. "I dont mind Michael being competitive, but how you go about that is always a challenge, and again, a learning curve." Serge Ibaka and Reggie Jackson each scored 14 points and Perry Jones added 12 for the Thunder, who shot 57 per cent from the field in their most lopsided victory of the season. Westbrook had eight assists in the first 6:34 to help the Thunder take a 24-15 lead. "I never go in looking to shoot first, pass first, rebound first," he said. "I just come in and play off instincts." Westbrook got his 10th assist on a long bounce pass to Durant with 4:55 left in the second quarter. Westbrook finnished the first half with 11 assists, a Thunder record for a half.dddddddddddd. He didnt score until he made a layup with 1:50 left in the first half. His second basket was a 29-foot 3-pointer. "Hes just physically so gifted and hes so competitive," Brown said. "Theres a -- and I say this respectfully -- hes an angry competitor that wills his way into doing stuff. I say that with the utmost respect. You saw those physical abilities along with just such a strong mind. Its a powerful combination." Durant, who made 14 of 20 shots from the floor, did not play in the fourth quarter as the Thunder won their third straight. Caron Butler, the Thunders recent acquisition, entered for the first time as a member of the team with 5:26 left in the first quarter and received a loud standing ovation. He made his first basket, a jumper, with 2:18 left in the opening period. Durant scored 21 points in the first half on 8-for-11 shooting to help the Thunder take a 61-45 lead at the break. The 76ers made 3-pointers on three consecutive trips down the floor -- the first two by Byron Mullins and the third by Anderson -- to cut what had been a 22-point deficit to 15 midway through the third quarter. The Thunder bounced back and led 98-76 at the end of the period. Durant scored 21 of Oklahoma Citys 37 points in the quarter. The crowd cheered loudly when Oklahoma Citys 7-foot-3 centre, Hasheem Thabeet, stepped out of his usual element and drained a 17-foot jumper that put the Thunder up 110-79 with 7:33 to go. It was a complete win for Oklahoma City. "I thought defensively, we were really good throughout the game," coach Scott Brooks said. "We were active, we were in passing lanes, we were contesting shots, and we did a great job with rebounding and passing." NOTES: Jones and C Steven Adams started for the Thunder in place of injured G Thabo Sefolosha and C Kendrick Perkins. ... The 76ers have allowed at least 100 points in 14 of the 15 losses during their skid. All but three of the defeats have been by double digits. ... Thunder G Jeremy Lamb made a layup at the first-quarter buzzer after catching a pass from Durant that travelled most of the length of the court. ... The Thunder shot 70 per cent in the first quarter to take a 37-23 lead. ... Brown was issued a technical foul with 5:30 left in the second quarter. ' ' '

Cl11234566  
Cl11234566
Date registered 10.23.2019

last season and hit nine
for us to get right back

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor