for us to get right back

#1 by Cl11234566 , Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:14 am

KAMLOOPS, B.C. -- Kevin Glenn was all set to be the Ottawa Redblacks first starting quarterback. The team selected him first overall in the expansion draft to stock the CFLs ninth franchise, and following years of uncertainty he was preparing to once again be an undisputed No. 1 pivot. Then almost overnight, circumstances changed dramatically. The Hamilton Tiger-Cats released veteran quarterback Henry Burris -- who led them to last years Grey Cup -- at the end of January after signing Zach Collaros to be their new starter, creating an opportunity the Redblacks felt they couldnt pass up. Ottawa signed Burris to a three-year contract a few days later to be the face of the franchise -- a move that Glenn met with a trade demand, one that was finally granted last month at the draft when the Redblacks dealt him to the B.C. Lions. Now at training camp with his new team and happy to be wanted, theres still a tinge of bitterness in Glenns voice when talk turns to the way things played out in the nations capital. "Everybody knows the situation in Ottawa," the 34-year-old said this week. "I was kind of blindsided into what was going on because, not getting into everything ... they knew that I wanted to be the guy in order to be in Ottawa." He said the Redblacks didnt notify him they intended to sign Burris, simply adding: "I got it in the news the same day that it actually happened." Glenn wouldnt speculate on how things would have played out if Ottawa had let him know what they were thinking prior to the move, but hes comfortable with his new teammates and eager to contribute. "To me, its just a better situation than it was in Ottawa. Im just being honest, from top to bottom," he said. "It is it what it is. You dont worry about that kind of stuff. You sit back and you let everything else take care of itself. You only handle what you can handle." He points to a roster filled with players who won a championship three years ago as why he was willing to be the No. 2 quarterback behind Travis Lulay in B.C., something he wasnt able to accept with the Redblacks. "This is not any knock towards the Ottawa franchise or the league or the fans in Ottawa or anything," said Glenn. "Youre dealing with an expansion team versus a team (with) a lot guys who actually won the Grey Cup in 2011." Glenn could have eventually been given a shot behind Burris, who turns 39 on Wednesday, but theres a chance he might start the Lions season opener as Lulay continues to recover from off-season shoulder surgery. "Its more opportunity. Im going to be honest," he said. "I think thats one of the reasons why B.C. made the trade -- just to say we can get another quality guy. "I think the biggest thing for us is we have two guys who can win games." Lions head coach Mike Benevides said the team was desperate to add experienced depth at quarterback and it just worked out that Glenns situation changed at the right time. "I cant overstate how important it was to get Kevin," said Benevides. "When you take a look at where Travis is, we know were going to need all of training camp to get him where we need to get him to. When you take a look at Kevin, what Ive seen thus far (is) an outstanding teammate, a pro thats been around 14 years." Glenn led the Calgary Stampeders to the 2012 Grey Cup game and has thrown for 39,418 yards and 222 touchdowns against 151 interceptions over his career while completing 62 per cent of his passes. "Hes thrilled to be here. He wanted to change. He got the change that he wanted, and for us now he gets to explore a lot of our offence," said Benevides. "Its a good marriage and I think hell be able to play at a moments notice." First-year Lions offensive co-ordinator Khari Jones, who has both played with and coached Glenn in the past, said it was critical to add a viable second option under centre after B.C. lost backup Thomas DeMarco in the expansion draft. "In this league right now you can never have too many quality quarterbacks," said Jones. "Its a tough league. Its a tough league to play 18 games and you want to have the opportunity when your starter might not be in there to have someone whos a starter in his own right to come in and play good football and help you win games." Although they both want to be on the field when B.C. opens its regular-season schedule later this month, Glenn and Lulay have already struck up a good working relationship, even making the four-hour drive from the Vancouver area up to Thompson Rivers University for training camp together in the same car. "Hes welcomed me with open arms (even though) were two guys fighting for the same position," said Glenn. "That right there, hands down I have respect for you. Were not even talking about stuff on the football field and how you play, but just the person that he is." Lulay said he watched Glenn from afar as an opponent and was impressed by how he dealt with platoon situations in Hamilton and Calgary in recent years. "He was always a guy I thought pretty highly of. Hes been a consistent guy and been able to play at a high level. Hes been in a lot of different situations," said Lulay. "Being able to overcome that and focus on being able to go out and play and playing well, that built a lot of respect from your peer group. "Knowing that hes a guy whos seen the highs, hes seen the lows of playing the position in the league, that just builds a lot respect before I even had known him. It helps us break that trust barrier a little quicker." Glenns ability to work in a number of different scenarios has also taken some of the pressure off Lulay to rush back from injury for a team that will be feeling the heat to perform in the tough West Division as Grey Cup hosts. "One of the things about being injured is you feel like youre letting your teammates down by not being able to be out there with them," said Lulay. "Having a guy you can trust to lead the team is really important. "A guy that plays 14 years in this league, that doesnt happen by accident." Lucas Sims Jersey . "That was a great lift for the staff," Padres manager Bud Black said. Yonder Alonso and Yasmani Grandal homered, and Chase Headley drove in three runs, as the Padres beat the Chicago Cubs 11-1 on Friday night. Rawly Eastwick Jersey . Marcus Olsson, 23, joins Blackburn on a free transfer from Swedens Halmstads. He made 139 appearances and scored 17 goals in his four years with the club. He earned his first caps for Sweden this month, featuring against Bahrain and Qatar. https://www.cheapredsjerseys.us/575s-bob...ersey-reds.html. Hes had three top-10 results this season and feels ready to put it all together and finally hoist a trophy at the top level. Michael Lorenzen Jersey . With one penalty, Fourcade finished in 24 minutes, 58.2 seconds, just nine-tenths of a second ahead of Timofey Lapshin, who shot clean in the cold. Josh Smith Jersey . -- Howie Kendrick had a two-run single in his first game batting leadoff this season, Chris Iannetta hit a pair of RBI singles and the Los Angeles Angels beat Cleveland 6-4 Tuesday night, sending the Indians to their fifth straight defeat.SUNRISE, Fla. - The New York Rangers finished a strong December in strong fashion.Ryan McDonagh, Chris Kreider and Martin St. Louis had a goal and an assist each, and the Rangers got back to their winning ways with a 5-2 victory over the Florida Panthers on Wednesday night.Derick Brassard, Martin St. Louis and Dominic Moore also scored for New York, and Derek Stepan had three assists. Henrik Lundqvist made 19 saves.The Rangers won their first game after having an eight-game winning streak snapped at Dallas on Monday. It was the longest run in 40 years for New York (20-11-4), which went 9-3 in December.We knew they played (Montreal) last night, and we just wanted to play fast and push the pace. I think thats what we did, Rangers coach Alain Vigneault said.Tomas Fleischmann and Jimmy Hayes scored for Florida.New York dominated play from the outset. The Panthers were outshot 24-12 through the first two periods and 34-21 overall.It took us maybe six or seven minutes to get going in the first period, but I thought once we got going our north-south game was quick and our passing was good and we did what we had to do to win the game, Vigneault said.The Rangers are 16-0-1 when they allow two goals or fewer.We didnt spend a lot of time in our end and, without a doubt, it was a good team effort, Vigneault said.Florida (16-10-9) tied its franchise record with 17 points in December. The Panthers, who lost to Montreal 2-1 in a shootout on Tuesday, went 2-1-1 on their traditional holiday homestand.Panthers coach Gerard Gallant was impressed by the Rangers in his teams first game against New York.They dominated most of the night, Gallant said. I thought we had seven or eight good minutes in the third, but most of the night the Rangers were all over us. We were totally dominated.Thats the best team Ive seen so far this year. They really took control of the game.Al Montoya made big stops in the first period on Kreider on a breakaway, J.T. Miller on a rebound and Maats Zuccarello on a slap shot with traffic in front before Kreider scored his sixth goal at 16:42.ddddddddddddThe Rangers struck quickly in the second when Brassard put in a rebound off a shot by McDonagh from the left circle at 1:29. It was Brassards ninth goal and first since he netted a pair against Philadelphia on Nov. 29.(The Panthers) keep games tight, Brassard said. They get those extra points and they stay in a lot of games. We knew going in that it was going to be a game from start to finish.We were lucky there to get a couple more (goals) and keep the lead.McDonagh made it 3-0 by keeping in a clearing attempt with his foot. He then zipped a slap shot past Montoya at 14:48 for a power-play tally his third goal this season.He was awesome, defenceman Marc Staal said of McDonagh. He made some great plays during the rush. He was using his legs. He had a great game.Fleischmann took a long stretch pass from Jonathan Huberdeau and beat Lundqvist on the stick side with 3:22 left in the second for his fourth goal to make it 3-1.Hayes brought the Panthers within a goal at 7:39, scoring his 11th.It was a good momentum swing for us to get right back in it, Hayes said. You score one, then youve got to go right back in and put the press on,We need to play more of a north-south game and be on top of their defence.St. Louis 12th goal came at 9:51 and increased New Yorks lead to 4-2.Moore scored after St. Louis was stopped by Montoya on a breakaway. Moore put back the shot at 15:35 for his second goal.NOTES: Florida signed returning top scorer Nick Bjugstad to a six-year, $24.6 million contract extension. ... Rangers D Kevin Kleins assist in the first period was his 100th career point. ... Floridas Jimmy Hayes and younger brother Kevin, a Rangers forward, faced each other professionally for the first time. The Boston natives were teammates at Boston College for one year and played together for Team USA at the 2014 IIHF World Championship. ' ' '

Cl11234566  
Cl11234566
Date registered 10.23.2019

coach Scott Brooks said
a bat on his left forearm

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor