CHICAGO -- Cuban slugger Jose Abreu has agreed to a six-year, $68 million contract with the Chicago White Sox, a person familiar with the situation said Friday. The person spoke Friday on the condition of anonymity because the deal had not been announced and was pending a physical. Several outlets had earlier reported the agreement. The 6-foot-3, 250-pound Abreu could play first base or serve as the designated hitter. He batted .360 (9-for-25) with three home runs and nine RBIs at the World Baseball Classic last spring, and he defected over the summer. Abreu joins a team that went 63-99 after finishing second in the AL Central. The White Sox believe they can turn things around quickly because of their pitching, but defence and hitting were huge problems for them this past season. They ranked 29th in fielding percentage, and they didnt get the job done at the plate, either. A lack of speed and a drop in power added up to the White Sox scoring the fewest runs in the American League. They batted just .249 and saw their home run total plummet to 148 after they ranked third in the majors with 211 the previous year. With Adam Dunn signed through next season and Abreu in the mix, there might not be room for Paul Konerko. At 37 and with an expiring contract, he might have played his last season with the White Sox -- or any other team. The six-time All-Star is coming off one of his worst seasons and said at the end of the year that he would take a month to decide if hell try to play next season. He wasnt sure if the White Sox even wanted him back after he hit .244 with just 12 homers and 54 RBIs while dealing with a back problem. If this does signal the end in Chicago, its been quite a run. Acquired from Cincinnati following the 1998 season, Konerko helped lead the White Sox to a championship in 2005. He ranks second on the White Soxs list to Frank Thomas in homers and RBIs. NOTE: The White Sox outrighted left-handed pitcher David Purcey to Triple-A Charlotte on Friday. He was 1-1 with a 2.13 ERA over 24 relief appearances with Chicago. The White Soxs 40-man roster is at 36. Goran Dragic Heat Jersey . Starters, when they struggle, have to live with it for five days. For Sergio Santos and Steve Delabar, two of the three men who authored one of the ugliest pitched innings in Blue Jays franchise history on Thursday night, the bounce-back chance came right away. Kendrick Nunn Heat Jersey .com) - Carmelo Anthony scored 31 points with eight rebounds to lead the New York Knicks to a 92-80 win over the Los Angeles Lakers. https://www.heatlockerroom.com/Dion-Wait...Edition-Jersey/. The Flames are in the midst of a six-game slide (0-5-1), their longest losing streak since an 0-6-3 skid from Jan. 11-28, 2010. They havent won since Nov. 3 in Chicago and most recently went winless on a three-game homestand. Chris Silva Heat Jersey .com) - The Vancouver Canucks hope an upcoming stretch of home games will be enough to get the club into the postseason. Chris Bosh Heat Jersey . Napoli hit two home runs, Jonny Gomes and prized rookie Xander Bogaerts also connected, and the Red Sox kept up their dizzying scoring spree at Yankee Stadium by bashing New York 13-9 Saturday for a fifth straight win. KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Chiefs offensive tackle Donald Stephenson was suspended by the NFL for the first four games of the regular season Friday for violating the leagues performance-enhancing substance policy, a massive blow to an already unsteady offensive line. Stephenson remains eligible to participate in all preseason practices and games, including Saturday nights contest against Minnesota. He will miss games against Tennessee, Denver, Miami and New England and be eligible to return to the active roster Sept. 30. The substance was not disclosed. The Chiefs said in a three-sentence statement that they were informed of the positive test on Friday and expressed disappointment in losing Stephenson, but declined further comment. Stephenson said in a statement issued through the NFL Players Association that he took a medication that requires a therapeutic-use exemption and failed to properly investigate it. "The rules are strict, and without a TUE, the consequence is a four-game suspension," Stephenson said in the statement. "It is not a mistake I will ever make again. I will train extremely hard during my time away from the team and I will be ready to contribute to my teams effort to win a Super Bowl as soon as I return." Stephenson was a fill-in starter last season but was expected to anchor the right side this year, taking over for former No. 1 overall draft pick Eric Fisher as he moved back to left tackle. With perilously little depth, Stephensons lost could result in plenty of shuffling. Jeff Allen is expected to move from left guard to right tackle, filling in for Stephenson but creating a new hole. Ricky Henry and Jeff Linkenbach, who were fighting for a backup job, are now in a race to replace at Allen at starting left guard for the first four games of the season. &"Were rotating people around and well keep doing that," Chiefs coach Andy Reid said.dddddddddddd "When were satisfied with who the five best are well roll from there. I dont really care about positions right now. I just care about getting the five best out there." The Chiefs have tried several permutations through their first two preseason games, and none of them has engendered a great deal of confidence. If they havent been hit with false start and holding penalties, theyve struggled to open holes and contain the pass rush. "We dont make any excuses for them," offensive co-ordinator Doug Pederson said. "Guys just have to focus in on detail. They get in the heat of the battle and sometimes they get a little fatigued and into the game, but they still have to concentrate and understand how were snapping the ball, when were snapping the ball. We need to eliminate those types of penalties, the holding penalties and obviously the sacks and turnovers." The trickle-down of Stephensons suspension could also impact the number of offensive linemen the Chiefs keep when they go through roster cuts. Teams must trim from 90 players to 75 by Tuesday afternoon, and final cuts to the 53-man roster limit are due Sept. 30. The Chiefs were already without their top wide receiver, Dwayne Bowe, for the season opener after he was suspended by the league for an incident involving marijuana last November. Theyve also been dealing with a rash of injuries. Inside linebacker Joe Mays sustained a wrist injury that will require surgery and is likely to keep him out for the first few weeks of the regular season, and running back Jamaal Charles, safety Eric Berry and wide receiver Junior Hemingway have all been dealing with nagging injuries during training camp. ' ' '