BOSTON -- Boston Red Sox manager John Farrell would like to keep the World Series champions together for another run at a title. And yet he knows thats unlikely to happen. "That was felt when we got off the duck boats, knowing this was one last chance to celebrate with a million people in the city," Farrell said Monday, two days after the teams victory parade and hours before the deadline to make qualifying offers to four free agents who were key to the teams title. "Hopefully well be able to retain all of them. The reality is that might not work out." One year after a midseason and off-season overhaul that turned a last-place team into World Series champs, the Red Sox began building for 2014 on Monday by making $14.1 million qualifying offers to free agents Jacoby Ellsbury, Mike Napoli and Stephen Drew. General manager Ben Cherington said the team decided not to make an offer to Jarrod Saltalamacchia, though he would like to re-sign the catcher. "Theres interest in every one of them," Cherington said. "I also think its unlikely that every one of them will be back. ... Were going to keep the conversation going with all of them, and also with alternatives, and see where the market shapes up. In a vacuum wed like to have all of them back." The Red Sox went from worst to first a year after dumping three of their biggest contracts -- Josh Beckett, Adrian Gonzalez and Carl Crawford -- on the Los Angeles Dodgers at a savings of about $261.7 million. Instead of making a big splash in free agency last off-season, they signed mid-market players like Napoli, Drew, Shane Victorino and Koji Uehara. Cherington said the lessons learned from their successes and failures wont be forgotten. "I think we have to go into this off-season with the same general mindset: to build a roster as deep as we can," he said. "The general philosophy would lead us toward a lot of the same things we were looking for last year." The oft-injured Ellsbury is expected to seek a long-term deal averaging $20 million or more. A year after missing more than half the season, he played in 134 games and batted .298 with nine homers, stealing 52 bases in 56 tries. "Jacobys a terrific player, as everyone knows. Of course we know were a better team when hes on the field than when hes not," Cherington said, adding that if they cannot sign him they would consider moving Victorino, who won a Gold Glove in left field, to centre field and looking for a corner outfielder. "That would be one possibility," Cherington said. "We recognize how good he was in right field, and how valuable his defence was in right field. Hes capable of doing it." Napoli and Drew might accept the qualifying offer or use it as the basis for negotiations on a multiyear contract. Saltalamacchia, who made $4.5 million this year, could still re-sign with the team at a lower salary. The Red Sox declined to make qualifying offers to infielder John McDonald and reliever Joel Hanrahan, who were not on the World Series roster. Also Monday, the team said outfielder Quintin Berry and infielder Brandon Snyder were sent outright to Triple-A Pawtucket and became free agents. Right-handers Andrew Bailey and Alex Wilson, outfielder Ryan Kalish and left-hander Andrew Miller were reinstated from the 60-day disabled list. "The game doesnt stop," Farrell said. "The baseball calendar doesnt stop just because we played to nearly Halloween." Complicating Napolis negotiations is a hip condition that prompted the team to back out of a $39 million, three-year deal that had been tentatively agreed to and instead sign him to a one-year contract for a guaranteed $5 million with performance bonuses -- which he eventually earned -- that brought him back to $13 million. "Mike Napoli played a lot this year and was a huge part of our team," Cherington said. "Were making a qualifying offer to him, so we obviously have interest in him returning on a one-year deal for $14.1 million. Hell have an opportunity to consider that." On other topics Monday: -- Koji Uehara, who inherited the closer job and was selected the AL championship series MVP, is the leading contender for the job in 2014. The Japanese right-hander, who will turn 39 in the first week of the season, is coming off a season in which he set career-highs with 73 appearances and 74 1-3 innings. "I think were completely comfortable starting next year with Koji as our closer," Farrell said. "He didnt leave here with any physical ailments. We went into this spring with the same thought, that we need to be careful with his age and his workload. And he exceeded everything." --Cherington is content heading into spring training with six candidates for the starting rotation: Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz, John Lackey, Jake Peavy, Felix Doubront and Ryan Dempster. "We could certainly envision a scenario where every one thats currently under contract is in Fort Myers. And in fact, at this point, thats what I would expect," Cherington said. "Well see what the off-season brings." --Second baseman Dustin Pedroia has not yet had surgery on a torn ligament in his left thumb. "As far as I know, theres been no date or site set for the surgery," Cherington said. "But it certainly looks like its headed in that direction." --Cherington said no other teams have asked for permission to interview Red Sox coaches for other jobs. Bench coach Torey Lovullo is reportedly a candidate for the managerial job with the Chicago Cubs, who are run by former Red Sox GM Theo Epstein. Paul Molitor Jersey .com Tours Nova Scotia Open. The 27-year-old Sloan, a former Texas-El Paso player from Calgary matched first-round leader Rodriguez at 10-under 132 on Ashburn Golf Clubs New Course. Frank Viola Twins Jersey . His head snapped back from the impact and hit the floor. The All-Star power forward was all right afterward, a relief for the Minnesota Timberwolves. https://www.cheaptwins.com/312t-zack-lit...rsey-twins.html. -- Isaiah Pead took a stutter step forward, then raced to the left sideline and travelled 60 yards up the field before finally getting tripped up by a leg tackle. Twins Jerseys 2020 . But Josh Bailey scored the shootout winner to lead the Islanders to a 3-2 win over the Montreal Canadiens in a battle of the Eastern Conferences two worst teams. Minnesota Twins Pro Shop . The Laval Rouge et Or defensive back/kick-returner gained the invitation following his showing Sunday at an NFL regional combine in Baltimore. SEATTLE -- Making his first big league start at first base and just his third appearance in the majors in nearly 13 months, Jesus Montero made strides in proving that he belongs with the Seattle Mariners. Montero hit his first big league home run in more than a year, played error-free in the field and helped the Mariners sweep a two-game set over the San Diego Padres with a 6-1 victory Tuesday. The former top catching prospect was suspended 50 games for his connection to the Biogenesis performance-enhancing drug investigation last year and began the season at Triple-A Tacoma. "I really appreciate the opportunity that the Mariners are giving me again," Montero said. "Its really hard for me, what I was going through last year -- very tough year. Little by little, was in Triple-A working hard to be here and they gave me an opportunity again, and I feel really happy that they were paying attention to me. Now Im here. "I just want to appreciate that opportunity that they give me again and I want to just help them, help them to win." Montero, who said he was using a heavier bat than usual as he normally does against left-handers, showed the power that has made him a top prospect by reaching out of the zone to pull a low pitch for a two-run homer to left in the second and give the Mariners a 2-1 lead. The two runs would prove to be enough for starter Roenis Elias, who pitched seven strong innings. Elias (6-5) allowed three hits and struck out six without a walk while facing the minimum in five innings. After failing to win a game for nearly a month, Elias has won three of his last four. The only mistake Elias made turrned into a solo home run by Rene Rivera in the second.dddddddddddd "It was a good day for me," Elias said through an interpreter. "I had control of it and went out and did what I was capable of doing. Thank God it worked out well for us." "He has a good, live, young arm," San Diego manager Bud Black said. "He threw some secondary pitches as the game went on when he was behind the count, which I think helped him." Robinson Cano added two more insurance runs in the fifth with his fourth home run of the season to give the Mariners a 4-1 lead and it was enough to chase San Diego starter Eric Stults. Stults (2-9) allowed four runs, six hits and a walk. The left-hander struck out five, but had trouble finding the strike zone consistently and needed a season-high 102 pitches. The Padres bullpen was unable to keep the game close, as reliever Tim Stauffer loaded the bases and then gave up a two-run double to Kyle Seager. The Seattle third baseman leads the team with 47 RBIs, the most by a Mariner through 71 games since Raul Ibanez had 49 in 2007. The Padres have scored two runs or less 10 times in the last 15 games and have recorded four hits or less 13 times this season. NOTES: The teams travel to San Diego for another two-game set. Seattle RHP Felix Hernandez and San Diego RHP Andrew Cashner are slated to pitch in the opener on Wednesday. ... Black said INF Jedd Gyorko (plantar fasciitis) is not close to returning from the 15-day DL, despite being eligible to be reinstated on Friday. Gyorko, though, may be able to shed his walking boot on Friday. ' ' '