opening loss

#1 by wangz10 , Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:04 am

NEW YORK -- Step by step, the improving New York Mets are building momentum for the second half. Chris Young and rookie Eric Campbell delivered big hits off the bench in the late innings to rally New York past the Miami Marlins 5-4 on Saturday. Youngs pinch-hit, two-run homer off Bryan Morris tied it at 4 in the seventh. Campbell came through with a pinch-hit single in the eighth to put the Mets ahead. "That might be the biggest win of the year right there for us," manager Terry Collins said. Daisuke Matsuzaka struck out 10 in six innings and New York (44-50) executed a perfect suicide squeeze, moving to 7-2 on a 10-game homestand that leads into the All-Star break. Christian Yelich homered for the Marlins, who have lost four of five. With two outs in the eighth, Travis dArnaud doubled off left-hander Mike Dunn (7-5). Campbell batted for Kirk Nieuwenhuis and poked a soft single into centre to give the Mets their first lead. "I just didnt execute the pitch: 3-2 slider," Dunn said. "Left it over the plate. Pretty much the only bad slider I threw all inning." Vic Black (2-2) worked a scoreless inning, and Jenrry Mejia got three quick outs for his 10th save. It is the third time the Mets have won seven games on a homestand at Citi Field, which opened in 2009. All-Star second baseman Daniel Murphy stretched high for a leaping grab that kept the game tied in the top of the eighth, eliciting a roar not heard very often at Citi Field lately. Many in the festive crowd of 35,283 stayed for a postgame concert by Huey Lewis and the News. "I still cant believe I saw that," dArnaud said. "He could dunk, I think, with how high he jumped." With his days in the rotation probably numbered, as long as Jonathon Niese comes out of the All-Star break healthy, Matsuzaka had his fourth career double-digit strikeout game. The other three came with Boston in 2007, his first season in the majors. "My slider was really good today, which contributed to those strikeouts, but I would rather have gone deeper in the game," Matsuzaka said through a translator. Marlins starter Tom Koehler, pitching about 12 miles from his New Rochelle hometown, tossed two-hit ball into the seventh and left with a 4-2 lead after a one-out walk to No. 8 batter Ruben Tejada. Young was batting .195 before launching Morris first pitch into the left-field stands for his second career pinch-hit homer. The other came on June 27, 2012, with Arizona against Atlanta. "Never have I given up. I always realized how many games are left, how much is still possible," said Young, in his first season with the Mets after signing a $7.25 million, one-year contract. "The games ahead have nothing to do with the games that are past." Morris hadnt allowed an earned run in 21 1-3 innings over 17 games with Miami since arriving from Pittsburgh on June 1 -- the longest consecutive innings streak without yielding an earned run to begin a Marlins career. "Stroke of lightning that C.Y. dropped on em right there," Murphy said. Garrett Jones and Marcell Ozuna hit consecutive RBI doubles in the sixth off Matsuzaka to put Miami ahead 4-2. Adeiny Hechavarria hit a leadoff double in the Marlins third and scored when third baseman David Wright made an error on Donovan Solanos RBI grounder. With two on, Matsuzaka limited the damage by striking out slumping slugger Giancarlo Stanton and Casey McGehee on sliders. Yelichs solo shot in the fifth cleared the right-centre fence near the 390-foot sign. It was only the third home run this season off Matsuzaka, who has thrown 71 innings. New York tied it 2-all in the bottom half after Yelich was slow to get back on Nieuwenhuis double at the left-field wall. Juan Lagares had an RBI groundout, and Nieuwenhuis dashed home on Tejadas suicide squeeze. "That was one we shouldve been able to lock down," Miami manager Mike Redmond said. "Weve had some struggles holding down a lead late in the game." NOTES: Marlins RHP Henderson Alvarez was added to the NL All-Star roster as a replacement for injured Washington pitcher Jordan Zimmermann. ... Collins said he might rest Murphy on Sunday before he heads to his first All-Star game. Campbell would probably start at second. ... RHP Bartolo Colon will start for the Mets in San Diego after the break. RHP Dillon Gee will be ready for that series but the team isnt counting on Niese (shoulder) that weekend, Collins said. Niese plans to throw Sunday and the Mets will wait to see how hes feeling before scheduling his return from the disabled list. ... New York rookie Jacob deGrom (2-5, 3.38 ERA) starts the series finale Sunday against LHP Brad Hand (0-1, 5.09). Carson Wentz Youth Jersey . Wheeler scored two goals, including the winner, as the Winnipeg Jets beat the Minnesota Wild 6-4 on Friday in a game that featured a seven-goal first period. Brian Westbrook Womens Jersey . The team of Lars Nelson, Daniel Richardsson, Johan Olsson, and anchor Marcus Hellner cruised to victory in the 4x10 km event, winning in a time of one hour, 28 minutes, and 42. http://www.theeaglesshoponline.com/Youth...-Eagles-Jersey/. -- During a players meeting following the All-Star break, Jermaine ONeal promised his teammates to play the rest of the regular season like he would never play again -- because he very well might not. Dallas Goedert Youth Jersey . The mixed zone is not a place to make friends. DeSean Jackson Jersey . Or, for that matter, the aged.OAKLAND, Calif. -- Terry Francona asked crew chief Mike Winters to review a collision at the plate, and the umpire obliged. The call was confirmed, denying Cleveland the go-ahead run, but the Indians manager appreciated how smoothly the new replay process went. The Indians later delivered on their chances in the ninth, with Nyjer Morgan hitting a go-ahead sacrifice fly against new Athletics closer Jim Johnson as Cleveland sent Oakland to its major league-record 10th straight opening loss with a 2-0 victory Monday night. Nick Swisher added an RBI single against Johnson (0-1), who was then pulled from his As debut to boos from the sellout crowd. "I would have booed me, too. I (stunk) today, Ill admit it," Johnson said. "Thats fine. I deserved it. I expect that. The next time theyre probably going to be cheering." In the sixth, Winters became the first umpire to initiate a review under the expanded replay system, making the call after a collision at home plate. "Basically with the new rule I just wanted to confirm what I saw that the catcher did not block the plate unnecessarily," Winters said. "He was in fair territory, he gave the runner plenty of plate to go to. I just wanted to be sure." The call was confirmed in 59 seconds and the game remained scoreless. Winters wanted to see if As catcher John Jaso had illegally blocked the plate under baseballs new rule regarding home plate collisions. With Michael Brantley on third and one out, Asdrubal Cabrera hit a comebacker that ricocheted off pitcher Sonny Grays foot. Gray quickly retrieved the ball and fired home to Jaso, who tagged a sliding Brantley. Francona came out to discuss the play. "I just wanted to check and see if Jaso had blocked the plate. Weve all discussed the new rulings and what youre allowed to do and what you arent," Francona said. "I just asked him if hed look because I thought maybe he had gotten there a little too early. ... I appreciated him checking." Oaklands Josh Donaldson hit a single off the top of the wall near the 400-foot sign in centre in the eighth, but Daric Barton held up at second waiting to tag in case the ball was caught, and the As failed to score the go-ahead run. "That was interesting," Francona said.dddddddddddd Cody Allen (1-0) then struck out Jed Lowrie and retired Brandon Moss on a grounder to first. Justin Masterson, in his third straight opening day outing, and Gray dueled before the bullpens took over to decide it. Masterson allowed three hits, struck out four and walked one in seven scoreless innings, lowering his ERA on opening day to 0.86. The game began just four minutes behind schedule under blue skies, a best-case scenario considering the downpour a couple of hours earlier. Grey walked the first two batters of the game but quickly settled to throw six scoreless innings with seven strikeouts and three walks in a 105-pitch opener. The right-hander, who dueled with Detroit ace Justin Verlander in Game 2 of last falls division series, earned the start after Jarrod Parker was lost to season-ending Tommy John surgery. Yan Gomes went 1 for 3 only hours after finalizing a new $23 million, six-year contract with the Indians. He was plunked in the left elbow in the ninth. John Axford finished for Cleveland, striking out Nick Punto to end it with runners on first and second. A couple dozen grounds crew workers carried large brooms to sweep water off the tarp all afternoon. The Indians briefly came out to right field to go through some warmups during a break in the rain some three hours before first pitch. The two-time reigning AL West champion As took the field 90 minutes before first pitch under the lights when the rain finally slowed -- some even in short sleeves. It started pouring again shortly after the game ended. NOTES: Cleveland CF Michael Bourn, on the DL to start the year with a left hamstring strain, ran down a ball and hit a pair of doubles in a minor league game. He was set to go to Triple-A Columbus on Tuesday, and Francona expected a meeting when the team returns home to face Minnesota on Thursday. ... Gray was Oaklands ninth different opening day starter in nine years. ... Masterson was the first Indians pitcher to start three straight openers since CC Sabathia from 2006-08. Ex-As RHP Bartolo Colon did it for Cleveland in 2000-02. ... Hall of Famer Rickey Henderson threw out the ceremonial first pitch. ' ' '

wangz10  
wangz10
Date registered 09.16.2019

Michigan State
from Bellator

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor